Friday 23 December 2011

A day of contemplation

The yearly Christmas break down is here… It’s the same story every year. I look at my own children as their anticipation is rising. They’re so care free, healthy, loved, spoilt rotten, safe… We have been so blessed in every way. My thoughts go to all the children of this world who aren’t so fortunate… Children who will suffer yet another Christmas trauma due to adults drinking and fighting, children who have lost their parents, children living in poverty and misery, children who don’t have enough to eat or enough clothes to endure the cold, and pensioners who can’t afford to heat their houses for the winter, lonely people who’ve lost or maybe never had loved ones, run away teen agers looking for somewhere safe to sleep… I look at my boys and I think if it was them, would anyone in this world reach out and help them? As every year I have emptied my resources to do what I can to ease the suffering of this world… I’ve rummaged through every nook of this house hunting for warm clothing, ski suits, coats, boots, fleeces and other things there is a desperate need for out there. I’ve emptied the wardrobes and cupboards with the one simple rule in my head – If you’re not wearing it you don’t need it. It has all been sent off to an orphanage in Eastern Europe. I’ve spent what salary I have on gift cards and little gifts for people who need some encouragement and love. Yet it’s only a drop in the sea… There is a whole world out there in need, desperate physical need for food, shelter and clothing, as well as emotional need for someone to see them and break through the loneliness. But I’m here, tucked away on this safe island that is one of the richest areas in the world, waiting for my pig expensive kitten to arrive and they’re out there somewhere, waiting for a lifesaving reach out… That’s why I have this mini break down just before Christmas every year, because I have been so blessed and yet I manage give so little. I’m sure God has given me this pain and heart ache because he intends me to do something with it, but what? I’ll figure it out some day, but for now the evening of the 23rd of December is my time for contemplation and feelings of powerlessness… Tomorrow I’ll share in the joy as my children open their gifts, and we sit down by the table where there’s enough for everyone. Tomorrow is the day to rejoice and praise God for all that He has given.

No comments:

Post a Comment