Tuesday 20 December 2011

poorly and pondering

I’m up far too early... considering I’m off work poorly and Hubby will do all the dropping and picking up of kids. I’m worrying… The high temp won’t go away and the sore throat and ears are now accompanied by a really tough phlegmy cough. Not even much of a cough. The tough phlegm just sets in the airways… I recognize it as the kind that aims for your lungs… leading to asthmatic bronchitis or pneumonia. Thank goodness I’ve recently been to the doctor to have my checkups and new meds. Haven’t been for years, and had no meds at home, as my asthma hadn’t bothered me for at least 10 years… Until I started my new teaching job in August. Since then life has been a steady stream of infections. I’ve been poorly every other week, so I knew this situation would arise sooner or later. Even though nervously waiting to see if this gets bad enough to spoil Christmas I feel fairly safe. I have proper meds. The health care system round here is really good and accessible and they tend to take asthma seriously. My house is at a crawling distance from the hospitable should the need arise, and my husband is close at hand to take care of the boys. Of course I’ll be fine… But again I question my choice of profession. Is it wise to work with young children and all those germs they carry when you’re apparently so sensitive to infection? I spent a considerable proportion of my own childhood going in and out of hospitals… On the other hand these things should ease as you grow up. And grown up I am… Maybe it’s just my coming to a new environment with new bugs that’s the problem. In that case time will sort it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment